What is efficient breathing?
- There should be 10 to 14 breaths per minute, or 15000-20000 breaths in a day
- The primary muscles are the diaphragm and external intercoastals
- Air entry is via the nose and the rhythm is regular and smooth
- The inspiratory/expiratory ratio is 1: 1.5-2
- There should be an end expiratory pause.
Inefficient breathing occurs when there is greater than 17 breaths per minute and overuse of the accessory muscles such as the scalenes, SCM, upper trapezius, levator scapulae muscles. The diaphragm does not ...Read More Share